PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

944–948–952 Cowper Street and 483 Addison Avenue
(Originally 944–948–960)

948 inventory photo 948 Cowper, May 2012
Photo taken in 1978. Photo of 948 taken in 2015.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   In these buildings, connected by a paved court, towers, arched windows, and careful ornamentation suggest a Mediterranean Revival style image and a coherent plan.

Significance:  These houses are individually very fine examples of their style and they establish the visual quality of their block. They are related in origin and somewhat in style to 1000 Cowper (demolished), all having been built for Albert E. and Paula Lattimore, who occupied 452 Cowper Street in the 1930s and 1040s. Except for the Lattimores and the Peninsula Society for the Blind (1955 to 1983), most occupants were short–term tenants. Funds with which the Society for the Blind purchased the property came from gifts, and Mrs. Lattimore put the price below market value in memory of her husband, who had become blind before his death.

cyprus 952 Cowper 2015
952 Cowper 952Cowper
944 C0wper

944 Cowper
map

 

This house was built in 1924 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The owner/builder was Albert E. Lattimore. The property measures 100 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/12/24, 10/4/24, 3/17/25, 5/26/25, 3/22/47; p. 123, 3/10/25 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder); interview 1985, Jack Bates

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.