PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

334 Cowper Avenue — Demolished

inventory map
Photo taken in 1978. Location map

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The recessed porch and corner entrance are rather unexpected features of this otherwise simplified two–story Queen Anne design. Minor alterations were made in 1931.

Significance:  A good example of the decoratively restrained version of Queen Anne style, built as a residence and rooming house for Mrs. A. A. Bass (1893–1900). Early and succeeding occupants included the family of Dr. J. B. Small (1904–1914); George M. and Helen M. Strawn (1941–1952); and Edward F. Boissevian (1953–1969).

From 1971 to 1972 it served as housing for the Veterans Administration. The owners at the time of the inventory were Dan A. and Gray L. Avila

This house was built in 1893 and was a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was W. H. Campbell. The property measures 100 by 112 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.