PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

321 Cowper Street

inventory photo 321 Cowper
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2010.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This is a twin of 327 Cowper. Detailing, such as the contrast of narrow siding and molding with wide board courses, the oval window at the side, half–round window in the gable, clean–cut fenestration, and shallow front bay, gives presence to these small houses.

Significance:  This house and its twin neighbor are elegant, if simplified examples of Colonial revival style. In this location in 1903, houses were built by James W. Wells and by, or for, Kilborn H. List, these two probably among them.

Between 1904 and 1910, the house was occupied by E. R. Ellis and H. W. Beebe. Then, until the late 1970s, it was owned by Mrs. Martha Jane Green, and, in the later years, her son Albert E. Green. Green was the long–time and well–liked custodian for Palo Alto High School. Since the inventory was made, the owners have been Bernard J. Beecham and Cheryl A. Lathrop.

 

entry map

 

This house was built in 1903 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder might have been James W. Wells. The property measures 45 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/1/1904, 4/13/1943, 9/8/1948; interview 1985 Bernard Beecham

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.