PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

223 Cowper Street

inventory photo 223 Cowper
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in July, 2009.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Boxed Classical Revival eave returns and a square bay with fluted pilasters lend a faint Classical Revival/Colonial Revival quality to this otherwise unadorned design.

Significance:  This is a substantial example of simplified Colonial Revival imagery. The first occupants were Mr. and Mrs. R. S. Fletcher; he was an insurance agent. When they left the house in 1913, it was occupied by Frederick E. and Frances Morgan. Morgan was the pastor of the First Baptist Church, 1911–17, and secretary of the YMCA at Stanford in the 1920s.

Following the Morgans in 1925 to 1962 was Frank J. Snow, a chemist. Several short–term tenants occupied the house during the remainder of the 1960s.

From 1970 to 1975, it was the home of Henri J. and Sara Ligtelyn and their son Rudolph. They came to Palo Alto in 1950 and opened a travel agency, which the son still maintains in Los Altos [1978]; they were natives of Holland. The Ligtelyns were told by neighbors that the house was a wedding gift to Mrs. Fletcher from her father, and that she was a nurse.

The owner in 1978 was Doris Sukiennicki. She was the owner of record in 2016.

street view

Street view 2009
map

Location map

 

This house was built in 1905 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder is unknown. The property measures 50 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/5/1906, 5/17/1922, 9/18/1942, 4/26/1973; interviews 1985, Doris Sukiennicki, George Sipel, Rudolph Ligtelyn

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.