PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

209 Cowper Street

inventory photo 209 Cowper
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2015.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The cantilevered square bay and sculptural gable articulation of this small Colonial Revival house give it the presence of a larger structure.

Significance:  This is an excellent example of the style and part of a consistent street–scape.

Until 1927, it was owned by Mrs. Anna Dunker (for other Dunker family residences, see 460 Maple and 755 University). A native of Germany, she came to Palo Alto in 1905. Short–term occupants lived in the house from 1928 to 1940. It then was owned, 1941 to 1955 by Mrs. Maud S. Tronslin, widow of Bernard P. Tronslin, who had been a cashier at the Stanford Bank. For over twenty years from 1959, the owners were Andrew and Feoktista Porietis. Carolyn and Steven Pierce have been the owners since the inventory was made.

entry 2011 photo
2005 photo location map
2005 photo before porch restoration.

 

This house was built in 1905 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory.  The builder is unknown. The property measures 50 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/5/1906, 8/24/1921, 11/10/1935; interview 1985, Steven Pierce.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.