PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

610 Coleridge Avenue

inventory photo

Inventory photo taken 1978
location map

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This large, two–story Spanish Colonial Revival house is a bold composition of colliding volumes. The carved brackets and pierced stucco grilles reveal the care and thought which contribute to the building's convincing image.

Significance:  This is a very fine example of the imaginative variations possible within the Spanish Colonial Revival  form. It was built and occupied (1926–1953) by Mrs. Sarah B. Blakey, widow of C. B. Blakey, followed by James P. and Maxine McCarthy (1954–1958). McCarthy was a mining engineer from Idaho, president of the Board of Directors of the Palo Alto Junior Museum, and a partner in C & M Motors in Redwood City.

From 1959 to 1970, it was the home of Dr. Marcus and Muriel Krupp; Krupp was director of the Palo Alto Medical Clinic. William and Theresa Bourke acquired the house in 1971.

 

This house was built in 1926 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Joseph L. Steward of San Francisco. The builder was the Minton Co. The property measures 150 by 145 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/31/26, 9/2/26, 10/24/53, 10/19/54; interview 1985, Theresa Bourke; architect's plans

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.