PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

455 Coleridge Avenue
Kinney Residence

inventory photo 455
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2011.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This large California Colonial Revival house has a plan frequently used by its designer—a two–story block perpendicular to the street with a one–story wing at one side.

Significance:  This is a fine example of the California Colonial Revival style developed by the area's major architect, Birge Clark. It was built for sisters Enid and Mary Ettie Kinney, who lived in it until 1952. Both were early graduates of Stanford who lived in San Jose prior to moving to Palo Alto in 1927, when Ettie retired from teaching entomology at San Jose State College. Enid was active in music affairs.

The second owner, 1953–1974, was Milton D. Eisele, manager for Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Company. George and Sarah Wheaton became the third owners in 1974.

side entry
front map

 

This house was built in 1927 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Birge Clark and Wells P. Goodenough, the builder. The property measures 100 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 7/12/27, 7/29/27, 9/20/28, 8/19/35, 4/18/50; interview 1985, Birge Clark

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.