PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

345 Coleridge Avenue

inventory photo 345 Coleridge
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2015.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Sculptural roof forms and a curved entrance canopy combine to create a strong image of protection and shelter for this unusual shingled English Cottage revival.

Significance:  This is a superb and individualistic interpretation of the Tudor Revival Collage mode. It was originally the home of Dr. Albert J .Houston (1910–1925). He was a leading Bay Area ear, nose, and throat specialist, connected to both the Stanford and University of California hospitals, and said to have had the largest private practice on the Pacific Coast when he retired in 1937.

In 1926, the house was bought by Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Black, and occupied by the Black family until 1935; Black was a buyer for the California Packing Company. From 1950 to 1967 it was the home of Roland C. Davis. Davis, a Stanford graduate, is a San Francisco attorney. The tenure of the present owners [Robert and June Long] began in 1968.

 

brick arch location map

 

This house was built in 1910 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and/or builder are not known. The property measures 185 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/4/1910, 1/2/1919, 3/29/1951; interview 1984: June Long, Peter Black,  Roland C. Davis; Deeds, Book 352, p. 243, 11/12/09; Book 355, p. 469-70, 3/28/10; Book 375, p. 60–61, 8/30/11 (Santa Clara County recorder)

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.