PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

301 Coleridge Avenue
(originally 1555 Bryant Street)

inventory photo 301 Coleridge
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken 2014

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The semi–circular porch, the pilastered and arch–windowed dormers, and the careful siting and extensive landscaping all enhance the dignity and formality of this substantial two–story shiplap Georgian house.

Significance:  This is an excellent example of the large period–revival house fortunately placed on a spacious site (originally the garden portion of the first owner's property, which then extended to 345 Coleridge). The architect was a close friend of the original owner's father, and to commemorate the friendship, three generations of the Robbins family included sons with his name. The garage, built in 1928, and a children's playhouse were designed in the same style as the main house. The entry was altered in 1929 and a pool was added then as well.

Dr. Irving W. Robbins and his wife Caroline came to Palo Alto in 1921. Robbins was a member of a Solano county family prominent in banking and real estate investment. He served as a medical officer in the U.S. Nave during World War I, then retired from active practice. One of his brothers, R. D. Robbins, also lived in Palo Alto (see 401 Lowell) for many years.

From 1959–1974, the house was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Jack D. Burdick, attorney, and was acquired by the present owners (Boyd C. and Jill Smith) in 1975.

gate location map

 

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was William Crim of San Francisco. George W. Mosher was the builder. The property measures 150 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 10/10/25, 10/20/25, 6/17/26, 3/24/28, 3/20/29, 3/29/56; interviews 1985, Mrs. Jill Smith, Mrs. V. W. Burdick, Mrs. Martha (Robbins) McDonald

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.