PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

300 Coleridge Avenue

inventory photo 300 Coleridge
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2014.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   this elegant Spanish Colonial Revival house has classically–derived entrance details. A row of French windows opens the front wing of the L–shaped plan. The one–story structure is surfaced in stucco and roofed with tile.

Significance: This is an unusually elegant interpretation of Spanish Colonial revival imagery designed by a well–known Bay Area architect, one–time Dean of the University of California School of Architecture. It was built for Mrs. Lillian W. Hunt, widow of Frederick W. Hunt.

From 1935 to 1953, after Mrs. Hunt left the community, it was occupied briefly by a number of families, and afterward, by Lillie E. and Caroline C. Callahan (1954–1960); and Charles Rend (U.S. Navy, retired) (1961–1966). The present [1979] owners, Leo and Marlys Keoshian, acquired the house in 1969.

entry location map

 

This house was built in 1927 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Clarence Tantau. The builder was H. B. Post. The property measures 60 by 140 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 7/12/27, 10/18/27, 1/25/38, 10/23/54; interview 1985, Dr. Leo Keoshian

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.