PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

27 Crescent Drive

Maskey House

inventory 27 Crescent Drive
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2012.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Carefully casual placement of windows in the impressive façade of this Spanish Colonial Revival house contributes to its interest and success.

Significance:  The structure was built for Mrs. Anne Maskey (1864–1948), widow of Frank Maskey, both native San Franciscans. Candy–makers, their shops in San Francisco were widely favored and internationally known; after moving to Palo Alto in 1936, Mrs. Maskey continued personally to supervise the shops. After her death, a nephew, Wallace E. Stryker, and his wife occupied the house.

Born in 1902, he moved to Palo Alto in 1926. After a career in Berkeley as a fire alarm company executive and City staff employee, he died in 1976. Mrs. Stryker retained the house until the early 1980s when Robert and Jenny Saldich acquired it.

map

 

This house was built in 1934 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Gardner Dailey. The builder was A. F. Mattock Co. The property measures 170 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/21/34, 7/6/48, 5/26/76; Palo Alto Historical Association obituary files; interview april 1981 with Mrs. Lillian Stryker

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.