PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

215 Cowper Street

inventory photo recent view
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken February 2015.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The massive dormer bay and its balustrade add to a Colonial Revival house of middling size. Alterations and additions occurren in 1913, 1921 and 1964. Restoration of the house and addition of a barn–like garage were made in the early 2010s.

Significance:  Built for Thomas B. Dalton, who did not, however, occupy it until 1913–29. Following him, 1930–43, was Stanley W. Morse, a Palo Alto High School science teacher. Mrs. Margaret E. Hill and Mrs. Roy Rose were the principal occupants during the 1950s and 1960s, respectively. The first occupant, 1905–06, Charles W. Toothaker, died soon after falling from the footbridge over San Francisquite Creek at Hale Street in 1912. The owner when the Inventory was made was George A. Sipel, Palo alto City Manager, 1972–79.

 

garage location map

 

This house was built in 1905 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder is unknown. The property measures 50 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/5/1906, 12/20/1912, 1/3/1921; interview, 1983, George Sipel

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.