PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1928 Cowper Street

inventory photo 1928
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2012.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This small two–bedroom cottage, although stylistically and historically related to the adjacent Stern residences, is more modest in all respects. It is a one–story California Colonial Revival house with battered brick chimney and ironwork decoration over the windows. It is surfaced in stucco, penetrated by patterns of cut grill openings and windows scaled rather larger than is usual in a house of this style. The placement and combination of building forms is interesting.

Significance:  In 1935, Mrs. Lucie Stern commissioned the building of this house for Mr. and Mrs. Charles D'Audney. Charles D'Audney was her gardner and Mrs. D'Audney was the registered nurse in charge of Ruth Stern's care. After 1945, a succession of owners included Frank Livermore, Vernon Johnson, Mrs. Alice R. Pemberton, William A. Gibbs, and from 1971, William and Sandra Gill.

entry map

 

This house was built in 1935 and is a Category 1 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Birge Clark. The builder was Wells P. Goodenough; landscaping by Leslie Kiler. the property measures 73.8 by 140 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/22/35, 3/27/51; Birge Clark Residential file; Clark, "An Architect Grows Up in Palo Alto", 1984, p. 51–56

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.