PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

445 Colorado Avenue
(Previous street names were Clarke and Stanford)
Demolished

inventory photo location map
Photo taken in 1978. Location map.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:  This symetircal one–story Craftsman house has two Mission Revival gables. The side composition with square bays and projecting room sections is particularly fine. The garage is an important piece of the ensemble.

Significance:  A fine fusion of Craftsman and Mission Revival motifs, held together by careful attention to balance. The first owner appears to be been Charles L. Goetz and Mrs. Harriet L. Goetz, widow of A. L. Goetz. After a brief period of short–term occupancy, 1933 to 1936, the occupants for thirty–seven years were Percy B. and Esther Gibbs; Gibbs was a postman and Boy Scout leader.

Mr. and Mrs. Guy C. Pluchon acquired the house in 1975.

This house was first listed in the City Directory in 1914, the year it was built. It was a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 75 by 250 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/13/40; 1/23/54; interview 1985, Mrs. Guy Pluchon

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.