PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

757 College Avenue
early address, 425 College Avenue Demolished October 2015

inventory photo 757 College
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2014.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This is a simple one–story cottage with elaborate bargeboard decoration.

Significance:  A modest building enriched by vernacular ornamentation. The site passed through several hands from 1894, when it was purchased by Harlan C. smith, of Portland, from the College Terrace developer, Alexander Gordon, to 1901 (Lulu McGray), to 1903 Homer and Lulu McCray Martin), to Frank A. and Mary C. Cunning in 1903. They deeded it next year to A. M. and Ruby R. Cunning. It is uncertain whether the Cunnings occupied the house briefly, or merely rented. (Mayfield directories for 1905–1909 are unavailable).

In 1910, if not before, and until 1911, it was occupied by early Japanese residents of Mayfield, the Hironaka family. Then followed from 1913–1922, Emma J. Hutchinson, a retired teacher and librarian.

Again it was shuffled among various owners in the mid–twenties, including F. M. Freed, Wilfred A. and Lillian V. Edlin, Richard and Marie Coombs, and Clarence W. and Ida B. Manning. Manning was a lather and contractor. The Mannings occupied the house in the early 1930s, then rented it. Ludwig Huebner, occupant form 1936–1943, was a city employee for 30 years; superintendent of the sewage treatment plant.

From 1944–1963, the owner was William H. Reincke. The present owners, William J. and Lucille Mellish, acquired the property in 1968.

side view detail
detail front
757 lot location map
rubble

October 21, 2015 Palo Alto Weekly photo.

The houses were demolished after being deconstructed. They each had considerable amounts of solid, heart redwood and other elements that were purchased for use in restoring other period structures.

 

This house was built in 1906 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder may have been Frank A. Cunning. The property measures 37.5 by 115 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/16/1906, 8/2/1971; Santa Clara County Assessor's Book 184 (Deeds), p. 404, 3/11/1903; Book 283 (Deeds), p. 298–9, 10/19–20/1904; Book 427 (Deeds), p. 48, 4/16/1913; Book 550 (Deeds), p. 429–430, 4/11/22; Book 21 (Off. Rec.), p. 505, 7/5/23; Book 237 (Off. Rec., p. 542, 5/12/26; Book 239 (Off. Rec.), p. 506–7, 5/10.26; Book 567 (Off. Rec. ), p. 167, 4/3/31 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder); W.S. Census 1910, ED 75; interview 1978, Lucille Mellish

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.