Palo Alto Stanford Heritage
|Home||Architects & Builders||Holiday House Tour||Newsletters||Walking Tours|
|About PAST||Centennial Houses||INVENTORY||Preservation Awards||Contact PAST|
|Advocacy||History and Architecture Articles||Master Index to Houses||Resources|
|Photo taken in 1978.|
The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:
A two–story sincgle gambrel–roofed house with some classical detailing. alterations have made the original appearance difficult to ascertain, but the resultant form is complex and intriguing.
A design illlustrating the power of formal accretions over time. Porches have been added and enclosed.
Built for G. M. and James Young, who occupied it until 1912. for the next decade (1913–1923) it was the residence of Alger French, a Minneapolis dentist who retired in 1905 and moved first to Los Gatos and then to Palo Alto.
Other occupants of relatively long duration (prior to the present owner, Constance Hillis (1979)) included J. J. and Mrs. E. V. Smith (1933–1939), and Daniel E. and Jessie M. Newell (1946–1969). Newell's father, Edward, was, for many years, the buyer of Oriental artwork and furnishings, then the manager of the interior decorating department of Gump's of San Francisco.
This house was built in 1904 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was LeBaron Olive.
E-mail us at either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.
Copyright © 2015 Palo Alto Stanford Heritage. All rights reserved.