PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

236 Churchill Avenue

inventory photo
Photo taken in 1978.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The massive facade of this two–story, stucco and tile Spanish Colonial revival residence is pierced by a few carefully scaled openings with some simple iron grill work on windows and balcony.

Significance:  A compact, subtly simplified example of the Mediterranean designs developed by Clarence Tantau, one–time Dean of the University of California (Berkeley) School of Architecture.

The house was built for sisters Ethel and Florence Clayton, descendants of San Jose pioneers James A. and Anna L. Clayton. A brother, Willis S. Clayton, was president of the First National Bank, San Jose. The Claytons occupied the house until 1948; Mathew Stafford, attorney, and his wife Josephine then purchased it.

map

 

This house was built in 1927 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Clarence Tantau and H. B. Post was the builder. The property measures 100 by 200 feel.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/19/27, 10/18/27, 4/16/35; interview 1985, Josephine Stafford

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.