PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

764 Channing Avenue

inventory photo 764 Channing
Inventory photo Photo taken 2010.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This small–scale two–story Queen Anne house manages to encompass the tower, bay, winds, and spindle–work porch decoration of its larger models.

Significance:  This is a modest but fine example of the Queen Anne style. The earliest City Directory entries list Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Miller and Mrs. M. M. Griffen (1905–1906), and the grocer, W. S. Bigler (who subsequently lived and kept store at 532 Channing).

From 1910 to the mid–sixties, it was owned by John L. and Marion Card. Card, a carpenter, came to Palo Alto from Canada in 1908. A son, Gordon, was a plastering contractor. A brother, Frederick, a retired sea captain, lived not far away at 966 Addison Avenue.

From the mid–thirties, the house was apparently rented to one or more tenants. Roger and Patricia Chafee acquired the property in the mid–seventies.

roof detail entry
porch gable
764 location map
Photos taken 2005 and 2010 Location map

This house was built in 1905 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder is unknown. The property measures 50 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times, 9/18/1920, 11/2/1921; interview 1985, Patricia Chafee.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.