PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

633 Channing Avenue

inventory photo 633 Chaning
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken February 24, 2018

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The unusual facade of this two–story vernacular Queen Anne house is composed of carefully balanced voids and solids with very delicate porch spindle work. It is surfaced in ship-lap. Alterations have occurred to the façade.

Significance:  Built for K. K. and w. K. Knapp, the house was occupied from 1904–1908 by Samuel and Lucy Pierce. She was an M.D. forced by ill health to give up practice. He completed the law curriculum at Stanford in 1908, worked for a time as city editor of the Palo Alto Times during the Simpkins era, and became Deputy District Attorney for the city of Portland, Oregon. The Pierce family retained ownership until the post–World War II period, renting to a long series of relatively short–term tenants.

The owners at the time of the Inventory were Martin and Bodil Gordon.

633 Channing from side location map

 

 

This house was built in 1897 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was W. T. Rhodes and Ingram & Walton the builder. The property measures 50 by 200 feet. The Builder was George H. Van Epps.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times, 8/6/1897, 8/13/1897, 8/27/1897. 7/20/1931; Palo Alto Live Oak, 8/4/1897

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.