PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

627 Channing Avenue

627 Channing location map
Photo taken in 1978. Location map

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The over-scaled porch brackets and balustrades hat over the square bay window contribute interest to the plain four–square volume of this Colonial Revival house. The brick steps and piers are later additions.

Significance:  An unusual manipulation of Colonial Revival elements.

Upon reaching Palo Alto, George H. Van Epps, a farmer turned contractor, built the house and he and his wife Elizabeth lived it in for thirty years. She celebrated her 102nd birthday in 1957. Except for K. P. and Edith T. Harmon (1956–1969), short–term occupants have been the rule since 1933.

This house was built in 1904 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. George H. Van Epps was the builder.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/30/1904, 7/29/1957

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.