PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

459 Channing Avenue

459 Channing 459 Channing
Inventory photo taken in 1978. Photo taken May 20, 2012.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The configuration of the bay window roof of this one–story shiplap–sheathed Queen Anne house is quite unusual. The side elevation cretes a strongly sculptural effect with a mimimun of means.

Significance:  Frank and Frances Kasson, the first owners (1896–1930), came to Palo Alto in 1896. She had been previously married to Angevine Reynolds, a Forty–Niner who established the first express company in California; it connected Stockton with the mines and was later merged with Wells Fargo.

In Mariposa, the Reynolds' published and edited the Mariposa Express, which employeed Kasson as foreman. After Reynolds died, his widow married kasson and together they founded the Palo Alto Live Oak when they came to Palo Alto.

When it was succeeded by the Palo Alto Times, Kasson became an editor and printer for the Times owner, H. W. Simpkins. From 1910–1924, he was City Clerk.

The house passed to a daughter, Emily Irene Reynolds, who married Orville O. Valentine. Valentine was the local registrar of voters for 16 years. Mrs. Valentine attended Castilleja School and Stanford, and trained as a nurse at San Francisco Childrens Hospital.

From 1939 to the present [2018], the owners have been members of the family of Reverend Clarence E. and Elsie Carlstrom. Carlstrom was pastor of First Luthern Church, Palo Alto, 1936–1944.

entry 459
detail map
459  Channing receiving centennial plaque Owner, Ted Carlstrom
David Bower of PAST presenting 1886 plaque. Ted Calrstrom, owner receiving plaque

This house was built in 1896 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder and contractor are unknown. The property measures 50 by 125 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/15/1896, 12/30/1896, 5/22/1924, 1/12/1931, 1/22/1955; interview 1984, theodore Carlstrom

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.