logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1504 Byron Street

inventory photo

Photo taken in 1978.
location sketch map

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This house reflects Pueblo and Spanish Colonial Revival stylistic influences in its simple rectangular forms and battered chimney. The arched entrance with its decorative style is a detail typical of this period.

In 1975 a closet was converted to a 1/2 bath and the kitchen was remodeled extensively. A small windowed addition has been added to the front of the house.

Significance:  R.G. Goesle moved into the house in 1928 and sold to Alfred R. Masters in 1931. Masters, the Stanford University athletic director from 1925 to 1963, lived in the house through 1934.

Mr. and Mrs. G.E. Van Bergen owned the house from 1944 to 1974. Mr. Van Bergen is currently [1978] on the Board of Directors of the Merchants Association, a company based in this area.

The structure is an interesting, rather unusual stylistic example for Palo Alto.

This house was built in 1928 by its owner, Olaf Richard Ogren, and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories, 1927-1976; Palo Alto Times, obituaries file, Palo Alto Times, 5/5/26, 5/18/26, 2/1/28; Palo Alto City Building Bept. dossier; interview with Kaye Paugh, 2/3/78.


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.