logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1350 Byron Street

1350 Byron

Photo taken in 1978.
location sketch map

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two–story house is a letter-perfect version of its Georgian/Colonial Revival style and has been studied as a model by the architecture department of Stanford University. Among its typical features are the many-paned double–hung sash windows, fan–light over the door, and the symmetrical facade which implies a formal, central–hall plan.

Significance:  An excellent example of the Georgian Colonial style built for the Harry L. Piersol family. The Pieraols occupied the house until 1940; he was a salesman.

J. E. Mahoney and D. P. Dinapoll occupied it briefly, followed by Theodore P. Carpenter (1946–1953), General Secretary at Stanford. It then became the home of the present owners , George and Elizabeth Sensabaugh.


This house was built in 1928 by Charles P. Baker and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; interview, 1978, 1985, Mrs. George Sensabaugh; Book 393 Official Records, page 72-3; 1923-32 microfiche index Piersol, Santa Clara County Recorder

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.