logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1125 Byron Street

inventory photo

Photo taken in 1978.
map

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1983:

Physical appearance:   A geometrically patterned balustrade, considered to be a Chinese motif at the time of construction, provides the principal decorative element of this small one–story vernacular house. An open balustraded porch extends across the front and side and appears to be a later addition.

Significance:  K.U. Misner was listed as the first of many occupants engaged in various crafts and trades: gas fitter (Frank Morey, 1907), stone cutter (Donald Maclver, 1910), gardener (J. Sharkey, 1925–1945). Arnold, the son of John and Annie Sharkey, became one of the town's most colorful "characters." "Parkey" Sharkey, as he called himself, was a newspaper reporter's meal–ticket during the 1940s and 1950s—eccentric taxi driver, radio and TV clown for spot appearances, boxer and wrestler, writer, bon vivant, and scofflaw.

This house was built in 1901 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/17/02, 3/16/51, 12/24/51, 9/23/69, 9/8/71.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.