logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1325 Bryant Street

1325 Bryant Street 1325 Bryant
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken April 2011.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The structure is a small two–story shingle–sheathed Craftsman bungalow whose relationship to the ground plane is emphasized by the horizontal siding of the lower portion. The eave detail is typical of the type, but carefully shaped.

Significance:  This is a good example of the type of bungalow which could be found in the plan books of the era. It has resemblances, as well, to the neighboring house at 1301 Bryant. John K. Bonnell purchased the sites of 1301 and 1325 Bryant in February, 1910. Albert L. Rector evidently built and moved into 1301 Bryant soon afterward. It is probable that he also built the house at 1325 Bryant, which Bonnell sold to Dwight W. Weist, the local Y.M.C.A. secretary, in mid–1911. Weist, in turn, sold it in January, 1913 to Stanford professor of law, Marion Rice Kirkwood. The Kirkwoods occupied the house until 1925. After taking his A.B. and LLD from Stanford (1909, 1911), Kirkwood became professor of law and later dean of the Stanford law school. He was a member of numerous national and state commissions, and president of the American Association of Law Schools in 1934. He retired in 1952. Succeeding the Kirkwoods were Ernest and Margaret Moray. Morey was an employee of the American Trust bank. The Moreys owned and occupied the house from 1926 to 1965.

The owners of this rental property in 1979 were Harvey and Florence Pirofsky.

Entry 1325 Bryant Street
location sketch map  

 

This house was built in 1911–1912 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder prpbably was Albert L. Rector. The property measures 50 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 11/17/37, 6/29/73, 1/10/78; interviews 1985, Florence Pirofsky, Thomas A. Kirkwood; Book 355 (Deeds), p. 235, 2/28/10; Book 373 (Deeds), p. 29, 7/5/11; Book 300 (Deeds), p. 71-2, 1/20/13 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder).

Top


FaceBook f

YouTube

Twitter bird

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.