logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1310 Bryant Street

Castilleja School for Girls: Administration Building and Chapel

1310 Bryant Street 1310 Bryant Street
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2010.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance: The Administration Building and the Chapel (1926) are the only structures on the campus remaining from the early years without major alteration. The Craftsman styling of the Administration building presents extended overhanging eaves and sturdy brackets, and generous windows in pairs and triples. The ground floor facade is pebble–dash stucco, and shingles sheathe the upper level. The Chapel, although later, blends effectively with the earlier structure. The two and one–half story building has a gabled roof over the central portion, and shed roofs over the one–story wings. Large windows are paired and shingles cover the surface. An outside fireplace stands at the rear near the two-story circular apse.

Significance: The Administration Building remains to characterize the architectural appearance of Castilleja School in its earliest years, in the form given by Heald and Laumeister to its initial residence, school house, gymnasium, and bungalow. Skillful design for the Chapel retains the harmony of the original structures. With respect to the school itself, see 1121 Bryant Street. The Chapel was dedicated to Miss Elizabeth G. Hughes, assistant principal for Miss Mary Lockey.

 

Entry location sketch map

 

This house was built in 1910 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. Roy C. Heald (architect for Administration Building), Gus Laumeister, Wells P. Goodenough, and Birge Clark (chapel architect) were responsible for the design and construction. The property measures 400 by 500 feet.

Sources: The Tall Tree, I, #4, October, 1957, p. 7/8; Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/1/10 (illustrated), 4/30/10, 5/2/10, 12/30/10, 1/2/19, 1/3/21, 7/26/23, 3/20/26, 3/22/26, 7/11/29; Book 354 (Deeds), p. 467, 3/31/10 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder); interviews, 1985, Birge M. Clark, Ginny Monroe (Castilleja School).

Top


FaceBook f

YouTube

Twitter bird

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.