logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1301 Bryant Street

1301 Bryant Street 1301 Bryant
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2010.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical Appearance: This two–story Craftsman-Chalet house combines shingled walls, heavy angle braces and extended eaves, and battered brickwork.

Significance: This is a good example of the rustic variation of Craftsman design. The site had been purchased by Emma S. Towne (see 1005 Bryant) from the Seales and sold in January, 1910 to Albert L. and Madge P. Rector. (Rector was a contractor.) Although they sold the property almost immediately to John K. Bonnell, they lived in the house in 1910 and 1911.

The following year it was occupied by the inventor, Lee DeForest, and his mother Anna R. (widow of Henry S.) DeForest. They were followed (1914–1916) by Carol A. Juhrs. For three decades it was occupied by a series of one–to–three year tenants. It then became the property of Lloyd D. and Elvera V. Parker (1946–1975).

Among the earlier families (1934–1937) was that of Wilbur W. and Besse Bolton. The Boltons came to the city from Idaho in 1921. Mr. Bolton became personnel manager for Wesvaco Chemical Company, later merged with FMC Corporation.

Mrs. Bolton began teaching kindergarten at Addison School in 1932. In 1945, after a year of study at the Stanford School of Education, she introduced a parent–education class into the Palo Alto Adult Education program. Before she retired in 1962, her Family Life education work had set models for other child care and parent–education programs throughout the Peninsula. The Children's Center, (located today at Fairmeadow Elementary School on East Meadow Drive) of the school system was named in her honor in 1970.

The owner/resident in 1979 was Bernard A. Newcomb.

 

New garage

The garage wing is a recent addition.
        location sketch map

 

This house was built in 1910 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The property measures 98 by 100 feet and the builder may have been Albert L. Rector.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/6/55, 3/13/70, 4/12/85, 11/10/85; interview 1985 Bernard A. Newcomb; US Census, 1910, Santa Clara Co., Mayfield township, ED 75, p. 15, (May 5, 1910); Book 354 (Deeds), p. 94-5, 1/7/10; Book 357 (Deeds), p. 23-4, 2/4/10 (Santa Clara Co. recorder); a photograph of Mrs. DeForest standing i front of the house is attached to a photo of 950 University Avenue, in the Palo alto Historical Association photograph collection.

Top


FaceBook f

YouTube

Twitter bird

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.