logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1200 Bryant Street

Professorville Historic District

1200 Bryant Street 1200 Bryant
Photo taken in 1978. Photo taken in 2004.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1983:

Physical appearance:   A two–story Tudor Revival house composed of stucco and veneer half–timbering with an uncharacteristic pair of Doric columns at the entrance. There is an interesting window in the gable end.

Significance:  The first Professorville house built in Tudor Revival style.

G. Loftus Noyes, Professor of Art at Stanford, was the first owner in 1904, followed for thirty years by Professor Frank Angell (see 1005 Bryant.)

The third owners were Harold P. and Cornelia G. Burdick, known to national radio audiences as "Night Editor" and "Sister Kate." Mrs. Burdick was a leading figure in the Palo Alto Community Theater. Upon her unexpected death in 1950, a citizen's committee established a fund in her honor to support theatrical careers for recipients.

During the '50s and '60s it was the home of Paul and Enid Pearson; Mrs. Pearson was a member of the City Council for a number of years.

The owner at the time of the Inventory was Robert W. McIntyre.

1200 Bryant side location sketch map

 

This house was built in 1904 by William Thompson and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. G. Loftus Noyes may have been the architect. This house was on the 2001 Holiday HouseTour. The property measures 155 by 105 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 11/4/04, 9/1/06, 2/2/50, 6/20/78; AAUW, ...Gone Tomorrow?, p. 47; Professorville Brochure

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.