logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1160 Bryant Avenue

1160 Bryant 1160 Bryant
Photo taken 1978. Photo taken 2010.

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1981:

Physical appearance:   This Colonial Revival design owes its feeling of solidity to manipulations of fenestration and proportion. A fine fence and gate and a trellis around the door extend the design motifs of the house beyond the structure proper.

Significance:  The first occupants, Mrs. Helen Campbell and her daughters, were succeeded (1913) by Mrs. Harriet Buffurn, widow of George A. Buffum; Frank L. Brown (1915), a commissioner of the Panama–Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco; Burt L. Davis (1866–1941), a prominent San Francisco insurance business man, head of various industrial firms, and father of the prominent Palo Alto physician Burt L. Davis; and, for over 20 years (1920–1942) Dr. and Mrs. John C. Silliman (1878–1935). More recently, it was the home of Wetmore Hodges, engineer, and his wife Margaret and the Sanford Webster family. At the time of the Inventory, the owners were Edward and Janet Estes.

 

front of house location sketch map

 

This house was built in 1909 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. Its plans were drawn by the firm of Lawrence Buck, 910 Steinway Hall, Chicago. The property measures 75 by 105 feet.

 

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/31/09, 11/28/35, 8/30/41.

Top


FaceBook f

YouTube

Twitter bird

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.