logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1130 Bryant Street

Professorville Historic District

1130bryant 1130 Bryant
Inventory photo taken in 1978 Photo taken May 2010

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1981:

Physical appearance:   A Craftsman chalet with classical touches, this house combines brackets, pierced railings, flatwork window facings and other decorative fragments in a delightful stylistic collage.

Significance:  A good example of an important Craftsman variant design, rare in Palo Alto.

Professor Karl J . Rendtorff (1865–1945), the first occupant, came to the United Status from Kiel, Germany, in 1893 for graduate study at Stanford. After receiving his Ph.D. degree he remained with the University in the German Department until retirement in 1929. Mrs. Rendtorff, too, was a Stanford graduate (A.B. 1898).

A series of occupants in the I920's included Henry Bolton Post (1891–1933), an engineer (Stanford, 1912) drowned in the Klamath River while inspecting mining property (Mrs. Mary Hutchinson Bolton was a member of a well-known Palo Alto family—see entry for 433 Kingsley); Wilbert M. Chapman, an outstanding ichthyologist who became curator of fish at the California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, in 1941; and Henry F. Meiggs (1872–1952), a civil engineer from England who, after leaving Palo Alto, carried out important projects in Latin America. From 1931 until the late I960s, the house was owned and usually occupied by A.G. and Dorothea Sibley and their family; for a decade (late 1940s–late 1950s) the tenants were Frederick and Helen Vincent (Mrs. Vincent was a daughter of E.H. Hamilton, a political writer for the San Francisco Examiner earlier in the century).

2010 photo Robert Brandeis photo
winter PAHA photo 1998
Photo taken January 16, 2010 Guy Miller Archive, 1998 photo
porch with centennial plaque
plaque
locatiion sketch map

This house was built in 1904 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory and was on the 1991 Holiday House Tour. The architect and/or builder and unlisted. The property measures 80 by 105 feet.

 

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/11/33, 5/9/45, 12/23/46, 2/22/46, 10/18/52, 6/3/54

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.