logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1010 Bryant Street

Professorville Historic District

1010 Bryant 1010 Bryant

Photo taken in 1978

Photo taken June 2015

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This modest, but well-proportioned, shingle two–story house has the gambrel roof and generous bays of its Colonial Revival prototypes. The gate is a careful extension of the imagery of the house itself.

Significance:  First occupied and perhaps built for Professor and Mrs. Alfred A. Browne of Stanford. After a brief tenure they were succeeded by, among others, Dr. and Mrs. Halbert W. Chappel; professor and Mrs. Edgar Eugene Robinson (1887–1977), an American Historian at Stanford whose career was particularly long and distinguished; Dr. Leonard W. Ely, a leading physician and Stanford professor of medicine, whose wife, Jessica, was a daughter of Stanford President Ray Lyman Wilbur; and, from 1934 to the present (1979), the current owner and her mother, the late Mrs. Claire C. Elliott.

 

location sketch map

1010 Bryant, 2009

1010 Bryant

Location map Photos taken January 2010.

This house was built in 1902 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and/or builder are not listed. The property measures 50 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/17/44, 1/27/55, 9/8/77; interview 1981 with Josephine M. Elliott.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.