logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1433 Alma Street

1433 Alma Street map
Photo taken in 1978. Location map

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   A one-story stucco bungalow, with stone-faced porch base, heavy porch columns with urn-shaped caps, and an arched connection over the steps, this structure expresses Mission revival stylistic elements in combination with Prairie School and European Secessionist influences.

Significance:   An idiosyncratic variant of the Mission Revival, this bungalow contrasts the textures of stucco and stone, and conventional Mission Revival elements with fragments reminiscent of Craftsman, Prairie School, and even European Secessionist styles. The inventive fusion creates a rare, if modest, architectural example. It was the home for thirty-five years of Thomas and Margaret Vipham and their descendants, to 1962. It has been a rental unit since then. The Viphams were natives of England who came to Palo Alto in 1924. He was a plastering contractor and his sons John, Howard, and Edwin followed the same trade for a number of years before taking up other occupations.

The owners at the time of the Inventory were Franz and Gerda Judas.

 

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was and the builder was Thomas Vipham. The property measures 50 by 200 feet.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.