PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

595 Tennyson Avenue

inventory photo 595 Tennyson
Inventory photo Photo taken May 2, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This stucco and tile California Colonial building uses small-scale windows to create a massive façade effect. Handome iron work and scalloped entry arch add elegance to the façade.

Significance:  This is a fine example of the local version of the California Colonial and is a design by an important local architect. It was built for Gertrude M. Ellis, who occupied the house until 1969. Kirke and Dorothy Comstock acquired the property in 1971. 

 

   
façade  
entry map
Location map

This house was built in 1928 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Birge Clark and the builder was Wells P. Goodenough. The property measures 100 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times 7/18/28, 7/19/28, 11/10/28; Birge Clark Residential List; AAUW, Exploring Palo Alto's Past

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.