PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

510 Tennyson Avenue

inventory photo 510 Tennyson
Inventory photo Photo taken May 20, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This carefully composed one-story tile and stucco Spanish Colonial Revival house presents an intriguingly asymmetrical street façade with large arch window and stenciled beamed ceiling in the living room.

Significance:  This is a fine venture in nonconformist possibilities of Spanish Colonial revival design. {Built by Cleveland Smith], it was bought by Daniel E. Robertson, a U. S. narcotics control agent. After a short time the Robertsons built elsewhere and rented the house to Dr. and Mrs. John Wear (1937-46). Dr. Wear was the Western area medical claims referee for Aetna Insurance Co. Succeeding owners included Etta N. Marty (1947-52), and Merle R. Zinser (1053-57), an officer of Varian Associates. Mrs. Louise Deering was the owner since 1963. [1785]

 

map
Location map

This house was built in and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The owner and builder was Cleveland Smith. The property measures 50 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/14/32, 4/8/71; interviews 1985: Mrs. Daisy Wear, Lyman Wear, Louise Deering, Jerome Robertson, Mrs. Elisabeth Streppy

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.