PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

310 Tennyson Avenue
(Originally 1801 Bryant Street)

inventory photo map
Inventory photo Location map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Fusing Prairie Style and Classical revival elements, this stucco house has an H-shaped plan with a two-story central pavilion, Craftsman trellises, large well-planted grounds, and a tennis court. The gateposts are parts of the original design and the garage is part of the total composition.

Note: The date 1917 is impressed in concrete in the house.

Significance:  This is a stylistically indefinable, but powerful design. Its first owner was W. S. Army officer Joseph Lorber and his wife Amy (1917-45). They were followed by B. H. and Mrs. Margaret Silen (1946-52), and Charles L. May (1953-75). May was the executive of the Davely Tree Service Co. The house was acquired by Timothy Trailer in 1976.

 

This house was built in 1917 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was George jacobsen of San Francisco. The property measures 140 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/16/1917.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.