PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

181 Tasso Street

inventory photo 181
Inventory photo Photo taken June 30, 2011

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1984:

Physical appearance:   The symmetrical forms of this two-story Colonial Revival house are contradicted by asymmetrically-placed elements, including a ground floor bay and an octagonal witch's hat tower. This is a good example of the ease with which minor thoughtful touches can enrich an otherwise commonplace design.

Significance:  An inventive manipulation of familiar elements and forms. The first owner, E. H. Loman, a carpenter, may have been the builder.

From 1910–1925, the occupants were the F. C. Lynn family, succeeded, 1926–1944, by Mrs. Jennie King. Thereafter, it was occupied by several owners for short periods and was converted for multi-tenant use in the 1970s. The owners when the inventory sheet was prepared were Steven and Connie Fasani.

 

porch map
Multiple mailboxes at entry Location map

This house was built in 1905 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder might have been E. H. Loman. The property measures 50 by 110 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/6/1905, 1/5/1906.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.