PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

613 Stanford Avenue
College Terrace

inventory photo 613 Stanford
Inventory photo Photo taken July 10, 2010

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:  This small one-story vernacular house with a pyramidal roof form has been enriched by a porch of considerable delicacy.

Significance:  A fine example of vernacular building art, this house was owned first by the early Mayfield blacksmiths and wagon makers, W. C. and Peter McInnis. The latter worked in the Stanford Buildings and Grounds department and lived in the house until 1940. His wife, Addie, died in 1929; he, in 1956.

From 1940 to 1974, the house belonged to Melvin A. and Bernice Nelson. Nelson was an employee of the Stanford Board of Athletic Control. Since 1975 it was the home of Margaret Patton. [1985]

 

613 Stanford side
entry Yale side
side map
Location map

This house was built in 1899 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder is not known. The property measures 75 by 125 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times: 2/16/29, 10/2/56; California Home, July 1904; City Directories; Santa Clara County Recorder Book 104 (Deeds), p. 355, 6/12/88.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.