PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1229 Stanford Avenue
(early address, 821 Stanford)
College Terrace

inventory photo January 2014 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken January 13, 2014

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1986:

Physical appearance:   This restrained one-story Queen Anne cottage with its porch, bay window, and bands of patterned shingles exhibits the vernacular interpretation of a standard nineteenth century form. Before the installation of a larger window in the gable, this house was a twin of 1215 Stanford Avenue.

Significance:  A good example of a standard type. From 1889 to 1920 the property belonged to Peter and Mary Grimley, and the house probably was built by their son, John (see 1215 Stanford Avenue for further particulars.)

Members of the Daniel Harrington family, among others, were among tenants during the decade from 1910–1920. It then was sold through the Realtor Charles Ellet and others to William McCullough (1924) and from the McCullough estate to Vincent and Rosa Steck (1939).

Tenants during these years included George M. and Lillian Mead (Mead owned a Mayfield sheet-metal firm), (1928–31); J. E. Capovilla (1933–1937); Patrick W. and Bernita Neely (1939–53) (Neely was a field engineer for the Durant Pipe Co.).

The house has continued to be owned by the Steck family [1979], occupied after the mid-fifties for a time by Vincent (Jr.) and Patricia Steck, and since then by Joseph E. and Jeanette J. Steck. The late Vincent Steck, Jr. was an engineer with Varian Associates.

 

side view street view
map  
Location map  

This house was built circa 1905 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was probably John Grimley. The property measures 45 by 125 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 7/9/51, 1/10/55, 11/7/68, 1/18/69, 4/14/82; notes for AAUW ...Gone Tomorrow?; deeds cited in sources for 1215 Stanford 1889–1920 and, for 1229 Stanford Ave., Book 500 (Deeds), p. 361, 3/8/21. Book 88 (Off. Rec.), p. 307–9. 5/31/24; Book 67 (Off. Rec.), p. 53, 1/5/24; Books 948, p. 56; 950, p. 92, 951, p. 210–11; 1007, p. 26 (Off. Rec.) pertaining to McCullough estate), 8/9/39–9/13/40 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder); interview 1986, Patricia Steck, Joseph Steck (the latter reports the Harrington name scratched on brick in the basement, although Harringtons only rented; and that he had heard the house was built by a sheep rancher—John Grimley was a rancher in his later years.)

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.

,