PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

734 Seneca Street

inventory photo locaton map
Inventory photo Location Map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This small Classical Revival residence presents a façade which is at once a severely formal yet unexpectedly asymmetrical. The semi-circular, columned entrance and the high conservatory wing at the left are particularly interesting features.

Significance:  An individualistic approach to Classical Revival design creates an important and memorable structure. Gustav Berson, a sales man, first owned it (1926-33), followed by W. H. Moulthrop, 1936-49. It appears that it was rental property during the 'fifties.

Short-term owners since then included Max A. and Robin Martin (1962-66), Edward J. Tearney (1967-73), clothing store owner; and in the later 1970s and early 1980s, Stephen W. Player, attorney; and Donald Rowe, an employee of Hewlett-Packard Co. The owners when the inventory sheet was prepared were Barbara and Gerry Lapid.

 

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Joseph Dunn from Berkeley. The property measures 77 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/17, 6/22, 7/21, 12/16/25, 2/16/34; Santa Clara County Official Records:  Book 95, p. 108, 6/25/24; Book 248, p. 176, 10/18/27; Book 204, p. 230, 12/5/25; Interviews: 1985: Stephen Player, Shirley Hyatt, Irene Dynes, Edward Tearney, Barbara Lapid

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.