PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

355 North California Avenue

inventory photo map
Inventory photo Location map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The two-story Craftsman structure exhibits a steeply-gabled roof with craftsman profile eave units. It is sheathed in shingles, and three dormer windows, extending from the roof gable, face the street. it has been enlarged at the rear.

Significance:  This is a particularly well-executed representation of the Craftsman-shingle style. The dormers extending from the steeply-pitched roof, and small-paned windows add interest to the design. The house was built for Rev. David Evans and his wife Susan.

Evans came from Wales, took his degree from Oxford in 1881, and was ordained in 1890. After coming to the United States, he served briefly as rector of Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, and then became the pastor in Palo Alto, 1910-1926, of All Saints Episcopal Church. The Evans family kept the house until about 1943.

For the next 30-plus years, it was the home of the Charles M. Cross family. Cross was a geologist whose father was a professor of mechanical engineering at Stanford, 1906-32. At the time of the inventory, the owner was Mary Rimerman.

 

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was L. E. Kingham. The property measures 50.15 by 132.1 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/4/25, 6/5/25, 7/12/27, 1/11/32, 9/12/32, 4/17/52; interview 1985, Mary Rimerman

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.