PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

475 Melville Avenue

Huff House

inventory photo 475
Inventory photo Photo taken April 17, 2011

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1981:

Physical appearance:   This two-story Craftsman house has a horizontal emphasis and strongly-shaped detail which give it Prairie-school overtones. The square window bays and wide-angle pediments are unusual. Note stained glass in upper portion of bay window. Recent restoration and repainting have brought its idiosyncratic features into effective relief.

Significance:  The house was built for Mrs. Gertrude Bubb Huff (1865-1966), widow of William E. Huff. Both the Bubb and Huff families were pioneer ranchers of Mountain View. Soon after marriage, the Williams Huff moved to Palo Alto. His death in 1897 led Mrs. Huff to return to Mountain View until 1908, after which she resided in Palo Alto continuously until her death. She was active in the First Presbyterian Church and a president of the local chapter of P. E. O. Sisterhood. She occupied the home on Melville Avenue from 1911 to 1949.

During the 1950s and 1960s, a secretarial school operated in the home. Earl Nicholas Selby was the owner /resident  in 1978.

 

   
475 side
entry map
Location map

This house was built in 1911 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Frank Delos Wolfe, and the builder was William H. Bates of Mountain View. Painting was done by Fred Sims of Mountain View. The property measures 70 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times 12/21/10, 1/13/12, 11/29/66; Palo Alto historical Association files; Mountain View Historical Association files; interviews June 1981, Mrs. Dean w. (Lucille Huff) Buchan and John W. Bryson

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.