PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

465 Melville Avenue

Demolished 1993

inventory photo Brandeis photo
Inventory photo Robert Brandeis photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This one-story Craftsman bungalow is composed of a series of joined pavilions. the gate and the landscaping contribute to the Craftsman image.

Significance:  An excellent example of the Craftsman mode. The bungalow was first occupied by a nurse, Helen MacGillivray, who provided home nursing care in it. Then, for over 60 years (1911-1974), it was the residence of Gertrude G. and Fannie P. Grittiths, and until 1926, their brother Sidney L. Griffiths. The Griffiths were associated with real estate activities. The next owner was Nancy Jackson.

See also 536 Lincoln and 560 Melville.

Note: The replacement home is very compatible with the neighborhood.

 

map

This house was built in 1898 and was a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was James W. Wells. The property measures 33 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/30/98, 1/21/49; Palo Alto Live Oak 1/19/98, 8/10/98

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.