PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

315 Melville Avenue

inventory photo
Inventory photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   One and one-half story bungalow with symmetrical gable fenestration and square corner bay. The openings of the recessed porch hint slightly of the Queen Anne style.

Significance:  The structure is a pleasing variant of a standard type. It was built for Edwin P. Gamble (1853-1939), son of the founder of Proctor & Gamble (the principal Gamble residence is at 1431 Waverley Street).

It soon was occupied by Professor and Mrs. S. J. McLean (Stanford Economics Department) and, in 1906. by Professor and Mrs. William D. Briggs. Briggs (1876-1941) was a notable scholar of Renaissance English literature who taught at Stanford form 1906 until his death.

In 1915, Donald C. C. Grant and his wife took the house; he was the British vice consul in San Francisco who came to Palo Alto in 1913 after a long career in the English civil service in India and elsewhere. Mrs. Grant was associated with the Palo Alto Book Shop after her husband's death in 1924, and retained the home until 1956. Later owners were Craig W. and Diane Allen.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1903 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 50 by 190 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/1/04, 9/1/06, 3/20,24, 4/24/39, 2/17/41

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.