PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

686 Matadero Avenue

inventory photo map
Inventory photo Location map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The structure is a fairly standard Spanish Colonial Revival residence with an oddly-scaled inventively detailed tower as the primary focus of its architectural interest.

Significance:  The bold entry tower sets off this design from common examples of the Spanish Colonial Revival bungalow. Its first owner (1934 to 45) was Mrs. Vera Young, widow of Luther Young. She was briefly followed  (1945 to 49) by Thomas c. Colby, a real estate salesman, then by Dee and Billie Worley (1960 to 1984). The next owner, Richard Wilde, acquired the property in 1984,

This house was built in 1934 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was George B. Moore. The property measures 70.34 by 170.34 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; interview, 1985, Richard Wilde. Signed and dated plans of the structure survive.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.