PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST CENTENNIAL HOUSES Inventory Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   MASTER INDEX to HOUSES Resources  

640 Tennyson Avenue

Built in 1918

640

This house was built for W.S. (William Sidney) Tangier Smith, a consulting geologist, and his wife, Ruth. A descendant of Col. William Smith, Governor of Tangier 1675-83, Smith was born in Stockton, CA in 1869 and educated at University of California and Johns Hopkins. He was associated with the U.S. Geological Survey and taught at University of Nevada, Reno, 1906-12. The house’s initial cost was $2,800. By 1936, the house was owned by Ruth T. Smith, a physician, possibly his daughter. He died in 1962, a very long life. In 1946 the house was owned by Philip H and Kath Towle. Mr. Towle was an engineer, a corporate construction manager at Hewlett Packard. The current owners are Guy and Janet Dijulio.

Guy and Janet Dijulio

 

Photo taken April 24, 2018:

corner

Photos taken March 1, 2018:

side

street view

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.