PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses Inventory PRESERVATION AWARDS Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   MASTER INDEX to HOUSES Resources  

1998 Preservation Awards

Awards were presented at the Williams House, 351 Homer Avenue on May 16, 1998. The afternoon began with welcome words from Nancy Huber and Martin Bernstein. Mayor Richard Rosenbaum read a proclamation stating that Palo Alto was supporting Preservation Week, 1998. After a brief introduction by Martin Bernstein, Gail Woolley spoke about the "Survival of the Juana Briones House".

Centennial plaques were distributed by Mayor Rosenbaum and Joe Huber to the following properties:

270 Channing

270 1/2 Channing Avenue, built in 1893:   A small, unadorned cottage with a steeply pitched roof and board and batten siding. (Photo shows 270).

731 Emerson

731 Emerson, built in 1895:

A Victorian house with shingled gables, eave returns, bay windows, and an eyebrow dormer.

451 Channing

451–453 Channing, built in 1896:

An Eastlake style house with a two–story bay window and an interesting railing design on the wrap–around porch.

832 Kipling

832 Kipling, built in 1896:

A two–story Victorian with decorative shingles on both front gables and an attractive second story bay window.

 

845 Waverley, built in 1897:

Spindle-work, a full–width front porch, corner boards, and a wide simple cornice.

560 Addison

560 Addison, built in 1898:

A Queen Anne cottage with fish scale shingles on its front gable with bead molding, bulls eye corner detail on the windows.

815 Kipling

815 Kipling, built in 1898:

Mirror–image Queen Anne cottage to 817–819 with hipped roof, clipped corners and fish-scale shingles on the gable.

817 Kipling

817–819 Kipling, built in 1898:

Mirror–image Queen Anne cottage to 815 Kipling with hipped roof, clipped corners and fish scale shingles on the gable.

Fraternal Hall

140 University Avenue, built in 1898:

A Renaissance Revival building with Spanish baroque overtones. Listed on the National Register of Historic Place.

 

1998 Preservation Awards

These awards were given for projects completed in 1997.

Preservation Project Award for 1997

936 Scott Street

Built in 1895

Owner: David Raduziner

Architect: K.C. Marcinik, Greenmeadow Architects

Contractor: Rod Allen, Allen Construction

936 Scott
Honorable Mention

353 Melville Avenue

Built in 1897

Jennifer Levinson

353 Melville
Honorable Mention

680 Homer Avenue

Built in 1901

Ross Ferguson

 
Community Preservation Education Award

 

Jessica McCuan, Palo Alto Weekly Intern, 1997

 

"Uncovering the History of Your House"

Preservation Landscape Award

Kathleen Craig

Outstanding Community Contribution in Landscape Preservation

Williams House Gardens, 351 Homer Avenue

Kathleen Craig, coordinator of the volunteers who restored the Williams House gardens, both the flowers of Dora Williams and the working medicinal herb garden of Dr. Thomas Williams.

Kathleen and Carol Murden
Preservationists of the Year

Jana and Chris Stevens

947 Waverley Street

Built in 1904

947 Waverley

Back to Awards by Year Menu

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.