PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

660 Waverley Street — Demolished 1982

inventory photo map
Inventory photo Location Map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1986:

Physical appearance:   This two-story Colonial Revival house has a careful balance of voids and solids and an unusually playful and complex gable.

Significance:  The complex composition of this building makes it an exceptional example of its style. It was built for the Rev. J.W. Graybill, who, however, evidently began renting it almost immediately. Among occupants of relatively short tenure in the early years were the Alpha Phi sorority (awaiting completion of their campus house (1899 - 1900); Mr. and Mrs. Burke Corbett (see 457 Kingsley), (1902-09); Mr. and Mrs. F. F. Morton (1904 - 05); Dr. and Mrs. J. W. Coolidge (1906 - 09); Dr. Margaret Evans and her daughter Myrtle (1910-12); and Mr. and Mrs. David Kirkwood (1913 - 18). Kirkwood, a native of Scotland, had been a stationary engineer for mining firms in Wyoming before retiring to Palo Alto in 1900 with his wife Anna.

Frank and Francesca Woodward acquired the property in 1924. They had come to Palo Alto in 1906. He established the Palo Alto Ice Delivery firm and continued as its manager when it was sold to the Union Ice Company. He also invested in mining ventures. From 1911 to 1918 he served on the town's Board of Safety. The house was designated as the Woodard Apartments from 1926 until the early 1950s and continued to serve as a rooming house until its demolition.

This house was built in 1898 and was a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Curtis Tobey, Jr. and the builder, L.E. Bartlett. The property measured 50 by 105 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories;  Palo Alto Times 3/2/1898, 2/22/13, 10/2/40, 7/14/48. A photo was published by the Palo Alto Live Oak 1/1/1900 (designated as the Alpha Phi house).

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.