Photo taken in 1978.
Photo taken in 2010.
The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1983:
This shingle, gambrel-roofed Colonial Revival house features an ample semi-circular porch form topped with turned finials. Interior alterations and rearrangements have been carried, out from time to time since the 1920s. The new house in front was built in the 1970s. Interior redecoration occurred in 1984 vhen the Hutchinson-Stein house served as a Designers' Showcase.
This is an exceptionally elegant fusion of 19th century forms and motifs: gambrel roof of Dutch Colonial origin, corner tower from Queen Anne style, semi-circular portico from Colonial Revival forms. It was originally approached along a palm tree-lined drive, and was supported by a carriage house and tennis court. The house was built for Joseph and Katherine Kellogg Hutchinson. Hutchinson was an enthusiastic commuter and a prime advocate of Palo Alto as a commuter's suburb of San Francisco. He was the first president of the Palo Alto Improvement Club organized in 1892 "to look after the interests of said Town and promote its proper improvement and development." From its efforts came plank sidewalks, gravelled streets, and, in time, schools, water works, sewerage, electricity, a street railway, and town incorporation. The town government arose from the Improvement Club and Hutchinson was first chairman of the Board of Trustees. Hutchinson Avenue is named after him. Mrs. Hutchinson, who grew up near Redwood City, was a charter member of the Palo Alto Woman's Club, Fortnightly Music Club, and Presbyterian Church, where at one time she played the organ.
In 1923-1932 the house belonged to A.W. Johnson, and, 1935-1949, Michael D. and Sarah S. Stein. Stein was the brother of the famous author Gertrude Stein, who visited him in 1935 when at Stanford to lecture. He had retired in 1904 from management of the S.F, Street Car Co., went to France, and became a recognized art patron and critic. The owners from 1954 to 1970 were Albert L. and Agnes Robinson. Mrs. Robinson was a member of the city school board and served on the State Community College Board of Trustees.
The following is from the Centennial Buildings Tour, prepared by The City of Palo Alto Historic Resources Board for the Centennial Building Celebration, April 16, 1994. The houses included on the tour were all identified as at least 100 years old:
The Hutchinson House shows an elegant fusion of 19th century forms and motifs: Dutch Colonial gambrel roof, Queen Anne corner tower, and Colonial Revival portico. It originally had a palm-lined drive, carriage house, and tennis court, and was built for Joseph Hutchinson, after whom Hutchinson Street was named. He was first president of the Palo Alto Improvement Club, and first chairman of the Board of Trustees.
This home was included in the 1991 and 2010 PAST Holiday House Tours.
Of recent note, the Stein Collection exhibit at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art included one room devoted to the collection of Michael and Sarah Stein. Furniture and photographs were included, as well as an envelope addressed to Mrs. Stein at this address.
This house was built in 1891-2 and was remodeled in 1903. It is a Category 2 on the Historic Inventory.
Copyright © 2009 Palo Alto Stanford Heritage. All rights reserved.