PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

1550–1570 Cowper Street

1570 Cowper 1550 Cowper
1570 Cowper Street 1550 Cowper Street

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985 and a telephone interview with Ester Morton, daughter of Pedro deLemos, 8/14/78:

Physical appearance:  

This cluster of stucco Medieval Revival buildings, whose miniaturized scale and picturesque silhouette provide a convincing backdrop for a mythical munchkin land, were designed by Pedro de Lemos.

Significance: 

The houses now numbered 1550 and 1566 were patterned after Normandy homes which De Lemos visited and photographed while touring in France. The other frontage house now numbered 1570 was similarly inspired but more conventionally rendered.

The cottage at 1566 was organized inside to serve as a duplex, while the box–like structure at 1560 served variously as studio and rental unit. 1560 was patterned after a Normandy home he saw on a visit to France. The cottages in the back of 1560 were built for various reasons: one was income property after it was used as residence for Esther Morton's grandparents. This particular cottage had two kitchens, one for each grandparent. The cottages opposite the two kitchen home were used as a play house for the de Lemos children. The de Lemos children's footprints are in the stones of the hearth of this cottage that was sheathed in pine bark and shake.

footprints onhearth Redwood cottage

textured exterior wall story book architecture

The property was contiguous with the De Lemos lots on Churchill. All were essentially income units in the earlier years, and their occupants seldom remained for more than a year or two. The house at 1570, however, has been owned by Dr. David Cooney since the early 1960s.

entry

        side rear
location map        

entry taken in 1978
Inventory photo taken 1978.

These houses were built in 1930 and are a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.